Abe must write because, by doing so, he is able to play god and all the morons receive just retribution.
And because everybody lives up to his (high) expectations and if they do not, they dieeeeeeee.
Conclusively, this will make for a better world.

Thursday 20 June 2013

Confessions of a 21st Century Hypocrite

"Everyone is a hypocrite and the quicker we accept and learn to live with this, the better."

Very poignant. From yours truly. Though I hate those people who start a blog post with a quote from themselves, this is exactly what I've just done and is what this blog post is all about.


I often find myself lamenting over things that people do, then realising that in some shape or form I have either done those things, do those things or will one day do that exact thing.

I don't have a massive problem with hypocrisy, as outlined in the start of this post. I think it's seriously hard not to be a hypocrite in life as we are all changing so much, more than we perhaps realise or would like to accept (disclaimer: I'm the same person who also believes that, in some aspects, people don't really change but what do I know, I'm a gemini and that's a post for another day). For example, there was a time in life when I frowned on people drank alcohol. And, well, now...

I think my bigger problem when it comes to hypocrisy is people acting high and mighty like they're better than other people. In reality, we will always have things in life which we'll complain about. But I think there's a way of going about it where one doesn't come across as galloping on a high horse into what may look like sunshine to the hypocrite but what is, in reality, the dark pits of Hypocrite's Hell. 

So here I am, confessing that I, too, am a hypocrite. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, as long as it isn't channelled arrogantly.

It's only right that I leave you with a few of my moment's of hypocrisy, lay myself bare:

1) Well this first one actually encouraged me to write this blog post. I made a point on Twitter about people being nosy about a friend's university grades and how I don't understand why people have to be so nosy when it comes to grades. Then a friend pulled me on being a nosy person. Touché. But I think my nosiness is more so when somebody mentions something to me but doesn't finish it. All the same, touché.

2) People who constantly complain (mostly relevant to social networks) about being unappreciated in their craft, not getting what they deserve etc. So annoying. Just shut up, work hard and go get what's yours. If you're as good as you think you are, someone will appreciate it some day. This was something I used to complain about in my early days but, now, I'd like to think I just get on with it.

3) Endorsing things I dislike. Like people with insta accounts with nothing but selfies. Yet I still like. And follow. Ashamedly. Oh the power of that p...

4) This connects with number 3. People who talk before they've done it. Lord knows I used to be the king of this. I learnt that lesson in the hardest of ways. Now I follow the words of the great philosopher Shawn Corey Carter:

"On the low, only way to blow, you let your shit bubble, keep your cool, the only way to peep a fool is let him show his hand then you play your cards"

As heard on his back-to-back verse with Memphis Bleek. The whole verse is a gem. In short, let your work speak for you.

5) A few months ago, I wrote a blog post Cinema Etiquette: 7 annoying things that happen in the cinema. Let's just say that, on recent cinema visits, I've committed at least one of these and we'll leave it at that. Good day.

You got any examples of hypocrisy? Go on, don't be ashamed, share 'em in a comment below...



Currently listening to: Jay-Z - Dear Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment